Thursday, September 01, 2005

I Spy!

I'll bet you didn't know about this outdoor art installation! I certainly didn't until I happened upon it today on N 11th, between Sheridan and M streets. It's fascinating. It's virtually a 3-D "I Spy" game created by Darrell Talbott. Darrell told me that his collection of artifacts grew as neighbors donated items. Apparently this work of folk-art is somewhat of an archaeological record of the immediate neighborhood. (Yes, you can click on the photo for a larger view.)
So, let's play! In the first close-up below, I spy a wasp nest. A thermometer. The skin of a baseball. A Louisville Slugger. A funnel. A bottle cap opener.
Okay, if you found those, try the second close-up below. I spy a sunflower. A bald eagle. Two mousetraps. A sled. An old-fashioned telephone. A mouse with big eyes. A horseshoe. A Maverick insignia. A blue car hiding.
Leave me a comment if you found all the items I named, or if you need help.

After telling me about his artwork, Darrell walked with me for a few blocks and told me about his life. He also wanted to pray for our president, so we did that for a moment on the corner of 11th and "I" streets before we parted company. Keep up the creative work, Darrell, and remember John 7.38!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This collection is facinating to say the least. Kind of a cool way to tie the neighborhood together. That probably couldn't happen in a newer part of town without alleys and side streets. Okay, okay, help me out...I have "sloppy" 20/20 vision but where's the Bald Eagle?

Roderick of TMin said...

Be sure to click on the photos to enlarge. The bald eagle is in the last photo (the one with the FIREFIGHTER plate). The eagle is hidden in the upper left quadrant.

Anonymous said...

Do you know if this is still here?
Is it visible from 11th or is it down an alley?
TJ
(don't have an account so signing as Anonymous)

Anonymous said...

Checking back since March. Anyone know if this is still there and an address?

TJ