Saturday, August 27, 2005

Walking the Wedge

The historic neighborhood in Tacoma, called the North Slope, includes an area sometimes called "the pie wedge" because of its shape. An overcast morning gave way to a beautiful cloudless afternoon today, so I walked nearly 8 miles in the wedge. On the map below, you can see my route today as recorded by my GPS receiver. Today's track is yellow; the white tracks are from previous days. You can click on the map to enlarge it.

Yes, I took a detour into Wright Park for a pit stop.

Plenty of interesting sights await the walker in the North Slope pie wedge. One is the lovely courtyard of the Bayview Apts on N 2nd, with its beautiful palms and fountain.


Count the sparrows! On this warm afternoon, the birds could not stay away from the Bayview courtyard fountain. Even my presence only spooked them momentarily. When I stood still, they flew right back to splash in the water. You might want to click on this photo to enlarge it. Can you see the blur of the two sparrows flying away?

How about the movie mural in the basement parking area of the N 1st and Broadway Video Rental Store? The neon colors reached out and grabbed me. If you visit the Stadium district, stop by and see how many movies you can identify from the full mural (I've only posted part of it here).

On the final leg of today's walk, I happened upon this "still life" arrangement: a drooping boquet of sunflowers in a bicycle mounted vase. It struck me as a picturesque reminder that summer will end soon.

No comments: