Sunday, May 14, 2006

Getting To The Point, Part 3

I returned to Pt. Defiance Park on April 24th to hide a geocache I've dubbed "Home Office Eagle." You can read about this geocache and see comments by the people who've found it by clicking HERE.

I continued my exploration of the Park's forest paths on May 3rd, when I hit upon a glorious trail I would call "the path of giants." The trail runs in a straight NW-SE line for one mile, starting/ending at the picnic area (on the 5-mile drive) at the very tip of the point. This inspiring trail is overshadowed by many giant firs and cedars!
Speaking of giant trees, I stopped and took a self-portrait at the Mountaineers Tree I mentioned in a previous post. This 450-year-old tree towers up 218 feet, with a 7.5 foot diameter.

I love the woods, but Pt. Defiance Park has much more to offer, including spectacular views of Puget Sound and of Gig Harbor, the city across the bridge. On a clear day, the Olympic Mountains pop out in all their glory.

No comments: