Saturday, October 07, 2006

May Your Soul Prosper


I've been walking through some upscale neighborhoods lately, around N Parkview Ln and N Lexington. I've seen some gorgeous houses, many with a Puget Sound view. I particularly liked the stylish entry of the house pictured above.

As I walk in our wealthier neighborhoods, I pray an inverted version of 3 John 1:2. In the first century, Christians generally had a vibrant faith but often faced economic and physical hardship. Therefore, the apostle John prayed that his friend, Gaius, would "prosper and be in health, just as your soul prospers." In other words, John prayed that his friend would be as healthy physically and economically as he was spiritually. Today, in our culture we tend to be more prosperous externally than we are internally. Therefore, I pray for my wealthy neighbors that their soul may prosper, even as they are doing well physically and financially.

No comments: