Thursday, July 14, 2005

Job Carr, I Salute You!

On April 20, 2005, I began my walking project with my wife Kaaren where the city of Tacoma began, at what is now North 30th and Carr streets. Job Carr built the first white-man's house about half a block from this corner, and by so doing founded Tacoma. A replica of his cabin sits in Old Town Park located another block up 30th St.
This is a beautiful spot on the Puget Sound, and must have been lovely in 1865. From here you can see across the water to Vashon and Maury Islands, as well as to Brown's Pt. In Mr. Carr's day I would have enjoyed watching the tall ships come through. And back then there weren’t yet any trains or railroad crossing signals to wake Job up in the middle of the night!

Download an excellent guide to take your own walking tour of Old Town Tacoma.

No comments: