Thursday, July 21, 2005

Meaning of Tacoma

The name of our city comes from the Native American name for what is now known as Mt. Rainier. According to the sign posted by the replica of Job Carr's house (see below), the name "Tacoma" comes from the [Native American] name..., Tacopid, meaning "She who gives us the waters." NationMaster.com gives a similar explanation, Tacobet, or "mother of waters." Others have analyzed the original name Tacoma or Tahoma to mean "snow covered mountain." Still others state matter-of-factly, but without documentation, that Tahoma means "the mountain that was god." None of these translations of Tahoma/Tacoma are mutually exclusive. A snow-covered mountain is obviously the source or "mother" of waters for the region around it. I've not found hard evidence that natives of the Northwest ever believed Mt. Rainier to have been a god at one time, but if some once held that superstition, it may have been in recognition of the mountain being the source of the local waters that nourished and sustained them .* The name of our city always makes me think of a favorite scripture, John 7.37,38. Please click on the photo below to magnify it for easier viewing!

*Though I think there is a legend, somewhat suspect, attributing the mountain's deification to its primeval volcanic activity.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a really vivid dream last night that I was praying fervently and with great passion for a person named Tacoma to be saved and filled with the Holy Spirit. I was praying to cast out a demon spirit and pleading with the persn to acknowledge God and all of his works, telling them that everything else was insignificant. I had to research the name, which led me to your site.

Anonymous said...

The reason I came to this sight is because I had a dream where I kept seeing the word TACOMA in bold, capital letters. Strange. Interesting blog, here and thanks for the definition. Someday maybe I will know how the word applies to my dream.

Olubunmi said...

As I was praying in the early hours of this morning, the word "Tacoma" came to mind. As a result I went online to search for the meaning of the word and your website is one of the first returned by google.

I'm so pleased to see a fellow Christian standing in the gap. If there is any assistance I can offer prayer wise please let me know.

Best Wishes

Roderick of TMin said...

Thank you, Olubunmi!

Pamela sales said...

Waw amazing I had to look up the meaning of Tacoma as well.Im glad I did because I was saved by Jesus Christ in these waters.Yes I baptised myself.Its a VERY special day for me.I was filled by the holy spirit.Amen

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your site. Was praying in the Spirit & the word Tacoma came up as it has before. So I decided to look up the meaning & found your site. Also looked up the scripture John 7:37,38.

Unknown said...

Wow! I've asked God for my city Tacoma. Happy to see so many praying for my city.

Movies&Science said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elijah Adeoye said...

Crazy! Had a dream in 12/1/2013 about a Toyota Tacoma truck. I woke up that morning and felt the Lord tell me to pray for the State of Washington (clarifying that it's not D.C.). I searched online like others, saw Wiki and found out about Tacoma being in Washington. Then found your website too. The Lord wants this City and State! And I'm happy He shared the same for several others including a Nigerian like me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thank you as I am returning to our mother,and growing up school age there,I'm now surprised how beautiful Tacoma had become& appreciate the native meaning

Anonymous said...

Wow. Praying in the spirit about changing history and tocoma came to me as I saw it while driving. Lead to see this meaning! May God be glorified through this city ! Good to see his heart throughout the years regarding this city and state