Sunday, July 31, 2005

Cars, Camels and Comida

I varied from my North End routine today. My wife joined me in walking up S Park Ave to the Fern Hill street fair. This annual gathering of displays and commercial booths is held in the historic business district at 84th st. The main attraction at the street fair is the large gathering of custom and classic cars. I particularly liked the paint job on the Li'l Whiner below.














Among the dozen or more vendors at the street fair, one displayed some "antiques," an item of which I recognized instantly. It had been a while since I'd seen the distinctive rounded can, but the Camel Repair Kit for rubber tire inner tubes was a close companion during my bike-riding youth.

Grace Community Church, a congregation that has served Tacoma for many years, has recently relocated here at 84th and Park Ave. They held their regular Sunday morning service while the street fair was in progress, and also manned a table outside for people interested in registering their children for the Daily Vacation Bible School coming up in another week.

The Safe Streets folks were also manning a table in front of the Turning Point salon. I can recommend Turning Point, as I get my hair cut there and most of the females in my family get their hair done there as well. Next to the salon, tienda Los Caballero was selling tamales for a dollar! There were several food options for people who wanted to stick around and listen to Steve and the Good Times play oldies, and $10 massages for anyone who rocked too hard. It was another brilliant sunny day today; great weather for the Fern Hill community to hang out together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim
Next time you get your hair cut at "The Turning Point", tell the owner/operator that her three Texas sisters love her very much.

Your Walk for Tacoma is such an inspiration to me. I don't know why the idea couldn't work in our own little community. It will be a point of discussion among some of our "city-ites" at the next townhall meeting.
God Bless you as you tour the beautiful city of Tacoma.

Anonymous said...

I'm not very observant. I called you "Tim". Sorry, Roderick!!