Friday, August 05, 2005

Hide Me Away on N Stadium Way

Between Stadium High School and Garfield Park, lies a quiet and secluded neighborhood of beautiful older homes. I walked the whole neighborhood today, from N Stadium Way to Tacoma Ave, covering it in 4.9 miles (including a couple of repeated blocks). Once again I enjoyed finding palm trees in our evergreen city. My wife (the Master Gardener) says that many people have probably obtained their palm trees from the tropical nursery on N Pearl St, but that even Lowe's is selling palms now.


Seeing the old (original?) building of the Washington State Historical Museum brought back memories of field trips taken while attending Robert Gray Jr. High School. I thoroughly appreciate the new WSHM on Pacific Ave, but it's displays seem a tad sterile compared to the earlier building's musty and gritty old artifacts that so fascinated us as kids.

My youngest daughter and my granddaughter joined me for the first two miles of my walk today. Alexandria enjoyed the play area in Garfield Park. Here's Alie ready to come down the tube slide. (Click on the photo for better resolution.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing these pictures and reading your blog gives me great incentive to get out and open my eyes.