Thursday, August 11, 2005

Dinosaur Tracks in Old Town


You see more details of your surroundings if you're bicycling through them rather than driving. You see the most if you're walking.




One of the things I've enjoyed noticing on my walks are the creative items people use to make their house or yard unique. One house near N 22nd and Adams flies a Happy Face flag. Another house on N 28th near Starr St has dinosaur tracks in its parking strip. They're really only three-toed, concrete stepping stones, but they catch the eye and add a paleontological conversation-starter to the landscaping.

Of course, nothing says "unique" like the architecture of the house itself. I wish my friend, Paul Akiyama, of BCRA here in Tacoma, had been with me to comment on this beauty (see below) that crowns a side street in Old Town. (One of the most intereseting road trips I've ever been on was with Paul; you see buildings differently when traveling with an architect!) In lieu of Paul's professional analysis, I'll call this neo-New Mexico Aristo.
Please click on the photo for a larger view!

P. S. Paul Akiyama e-mailed to say, " I toured the Old Town house several
months ago... The interior design was inspired by Mexican Bajaian (made up word) architecture with colors, mini verandas, stucco and heavy timbers."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will you be posting another map?
Also, the navaho house looks like the Zane Grey House on Catalina Island (now a B&b where Mom and I stayed). Who knew?
Doug & I talked to a young man at a United Way function - he was born in Calgary and had actually lived in Tacoma and he really liked Tacoma (preferred it over Waxahachi, TX and Philadelphia).

Roderick of TMin said...

I'm trying to constrain myself to posting my progress maps once a month. Look for the next one at the end of August. : )