Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Noisy Nikes II

Yesterday I deviated from my normal walking plan again to take Alexandria hiking at Mt. Tahoma (yes, Seattle, it's our mountain!). The weather was perfect for ascending the steep Paradise Skyline trail. Alie was able to climb the trail for nearly a mile and a half (she'd walked 2.75 miles by the time we got back to the car). We got high enough to look back over the Paradise peaks and see Mt. Adams in the haze. We got near enough to Rainier itself to look down on a glacier (do click on the photo!).
But half way up our climb, I suddenly heard that awful noise for which I returned my recent pair of Nikes. It was unmistakable: half way between a squeak and a ... well, never mind. I couldn't believe it! But wait, it wasn't me! We paused on the trail and realized that another hiker followed right behind us. As he passed, you guessed it, he was wearing Nike whoopee shoes!

Have I mentioned that my new Reeboks are perfectly comfortable and very quiet?

Mt. Adams and helicopter seen from the Skyline trail at Mt. Rainier.

No comments: