Saturday, August 06, 2005

Noisy Nikes

Nike is generally the first brand I look at when shopping for a new walking shoe. Though Nikes run a little wide for my feet, I've found their AIR models to be very comfortable for walking in the city. And so, last May I invested in a new pair of the Nike Air Impel (why do the models I like always have to be the most expensive?). True to my history with Nike, the Air Impels feel real good. However, this pair has a bizarre problem. A good shoe should run quiet, and these do until they warm up on hot pavement. Then they make very embarrassing noises.

It took me a few miles to figure out what was happening. The shoes are perfectly quiet indoors and for the first mile outdoors. Then a kind of snapping noise begins. At first I thought I was just hearing the hard end of the laces smacking the top of the shoe as I walked. I eliminated that possibility by tying the laces differently. But yesterday was a beautiful hot day, and the shoe noise reappeared and got worse as my shoes got hotter. Before long, it sounded like a rude bodily noise with every step! The problem has to be connected to the air cushion in the heels. In yesterday's sunshine, the pretty girls were out washing their sports cars, the brawny landscapers were out shoveling beauty bark, and there I was walking past them on a pair of whoopee cushions. I got so embarrassed I came home and dug out my receipt to return the shoes.

Sports Authority was greeat about take the Air Impels back. After getting my card re-credited, I went over to the shoe racks and saw that the Impels are now on sale for 23% off! Hmmm, one wonders if others are having problems with them. Be that as it may, for the next few miles I'm trying a new pair of hopefully very quiet Reeboks.

The Whoopee Shoe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff on Nike, I also like to wear perfect nike air force one shoes. I think , there is a lot of choice in colours and style in comfort shoes with this brand.